Getting rid of that stubborn belly fat doesn’t have to be impossible! We know that it is challenging, especially for all those who aren’t too fond of the gym. But, combined with the right diet, and if you commit to getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day – you CAN fight the fat. Here we’re giving you 6 simple exercises to lose fat from your belly. Do them well, and you could be on your way to that summer body you’ve been dreaming of.
Crunches are one of the best exercises to lose fat, especially from your stomach. Make sure you do a set of crunches along with your regular routine – to get best results.
- Lie down on your mat, face upwards with your knees bent and feet on the ground
- Lift your hands and place them behind your head, or keep them crossed on your chest
- Inhale deeply, and exhale while lifting your upper torso above the ground
- Inhale again as you go down, exhale as you come up
- Do this 10 times if you’re a beginner
- Take a break, then repeat 2-3 times
You should aim to start with a total of 30 crunches for a week, then gradually increase the number. Don’t worry if you feel a pressure on your abdominal muscles, that is good! It’s what we’re aiming for!
#2 Twist Crunches
Twist crunches are a ‘twist’ to the regular crunches (pun intended), and make for an effective tummy exercise.
- Lie down on the floor, hands behind the head
- Bend your knees like in the basic crunches, keeping your feet on the floor
- Lift your right shoulder towards the left, keeping the left torso on the ground
- Now, lift your left torso towards the right, keeping the right side of your torso on the ground
- Repeat 10 times
Related: Reasons Why You Can’t Lose Fat
#3 Vertical Leg Crunch
Vertical Leg Crunches are a great way to lose the belly fat. Here’s how to do them.
- Lie down on the floor, with your legs extended upwards towards the ceiling and one knee crossed over the other
- Breathe in, and lift your upper body from the floor towards the pelvis
- Breathe out slowly, and go down. As you go up again, take a deep breath in
- Do 12 reps and up to 3 sets
#4 Bicycle Exercise
The bicycle exercise is a simple exercise to lose fat, and you don’t need a bicycle for it!
- Lie down on the floor and keep your hands on either side or behind your head like in crunches
- Lift both your legs off the ground and bend them at the knees
- Bring your right knee close to your chest, keeping your left leg away
- Now take your right leg away, bringing your left leg close to your chest
- Repeat and paddle like on a bicycle
#5 Lunge Twist
This is a great exercise for beginners, and seasoned fitness enthusiasts alike.
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart, keeping your knees slightly bent
- Lift both your hands in front of you, aligning them with your shoulders and keeping them parallel to the ground
- Lunge forward. Take a big step forward with your right leg, and sit down as if on a chair, knees making a 90-degree angle with the floor. The left leg should be positioned backwards, supported by the toes.
- The spine should be straight, don’t bend
- Twist your torso, not your legs – to the right and then to the left
- Repeat 15 times
Some other ways to reduce belly fat are to eat right and drinking a lot of water. Eating right, in fact, is half the battle won when it comes to belly fat. Make sure you avoid eating junk food, salty food and processed food. Drink a lot of water, to stay hydrated and free from hunger pangs. Also, you could start cutting down on your sugar intake. Ensure you get a restful night of sleep daily.
Combine these exercises with a balanced diet, and a routine that is focussed on cardio with some strength exercises. These exercises will help you strengthen your core, too.